Baby RES feeding

Discussions about turtles.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

I have two baby res. They were both born 4 wks ago and 5 days. I am feeding them dried shrimp right now and was wondering if it would be better to feed them crickets? I\'m not sure if they are big enough because they are really tiny turtles. Thanx for your help
xoxo
Hien
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

You can feed them a variaty of food. You can ask for small crickets when you go to the pet store. Try some live meal/earth worms. Brine shrimp, krill, ext. Good Luck!
Willie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Don`t know about the earth or mealworms (except that mealworms are hard to digest and you should feed a lot of them), but the other foods are all high in protein--this is too unbalanced in my opinion and may lead to too fast a growth and shell and other health problems down the road. I`d try to get some Reptomin Baby (for little turtles--ZooMeds also makes tiny pellets for aquatic babies) or regular Reptomin and break it into smaller pieces. I would use this as a staple, and give the other foods occasionally or as treats.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I have no idea what those numbers are in my post following the word \"unbalanced.\"
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Oops, and you shouldn`t feed a lot of mealworms (not should).
  • Information