heavy breathing

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

my baby RES looks like shes heavy breathing. is that normal or is there something wrong
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

This could be a sign of respiratory infection. This is something that should be delt with a vet. Can you tell us more about your set up etc.?
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

i have a really poor setup

the guy that sold me the turtle told me the island tanks is fine so i bought it

btw: its a baby RES because she just losted her egg tooth

but its a medium tub with rocks on the bottom. a ramp that leads up to a basking area. i have a normal desk lamp (but i keep her outside to get natural sunlight everyday) i change the water every other day because right now im saving up to buy a filter

her diet: romaine lettuce,pellets,apple peels,grapes (im scared to touch worms so i dont feed her any)
deesygirl

With a baby you need to feed her more protein. Try live feeders in a very small size. Some people recommend you prekill them for babies that tiny. You can also give her precooked chicken, blood worms, or dried shrimp.

What is the temp in your tank? With your 2 different posts you have told us that she is not active and she will not eat. These are signs that her tank is to cold and she is possibly developing an infection. A desk lamp if fine as long as you make sure she is getting unfiltered sunlight every day. Is she basking when she is outside?
  • Information