Box Turtle eggs.

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.

My box turtle laid an egg yesterday. She (the turtle not the egg) is missing a back leg and back foot. How long will it take for the egg to hatch? Do I need to bring the egg inside? I\'m new to this turtle thing so any tips would great.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

hey turtle gurl i hope this helps
if not than tell me an i can find out more for you .
X mashayla-Layla

\"Box turtle eggs can incubate successfully if left in the ground, but precautions may be needed to protect them from extreme climatic conditions and predators.

Many hobbyists enjoy incubating their turtle\'s eggs artificially. When the female has finished laying, open the nest and carefully remove the eggs. A clean paintbrush is a useful tool for uncovering the eggs. Box turtle eggs can be successfully incubated in a variety of ways, but a few basic rules should be followed: (1) do not shake, rotate, or turn the eggs; (2) keep the temperature at about 80° F (27° C); (3) maintain the humidity at about 80%.

These conditions can be met by placing the eggs on a suitable substrate (moistened vermiculite, sphagnum moss, and damp paper towels have all been used with success) inside a suitable container (plastic shoeboxes or plastic margarine tubs are commonly used, with the lids kept on to help maintain the humidity). The container is placed in an incubator or in a location that remains slightly above room temperature such as a cupboard on top of a refrigerator or above a water heater. The eggs are checked regularly to make sure that the substrate remains damp. The eggs should hatch in 50-90 days\"
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hey congrats on the egg! i dont kno that much about box turtles but i hope everything works out!gl =)

*manda*
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

good luck with the eggs. when the turts hatch you should put pictures on here.
  • Information