Feeding them outside the tank

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

A few months ago, I aquired 3 RES from a co-worker. I had decided about 2 months to feed them outside the tank. I fill up a kitty litter box with about 3 galloons of water from their tank and then move them into it. They still get a little bit upset, hissing and stuff, with me each time I move them back and forth. Is this doing more harm then good? Is the stress of me moving them worse then having food bits in the tank?
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles don\'t really like changing enviroments and it can cause them to get rather upset. But in the long run, if doing this can save you from a lot of trouble go ahead and do it. They might get upset at first..later they will proabably get use to it. If they eat in the feeding tank thats ok, if it starts to go on stike and refuses to eat in a differnt place then you will have to feed them in their own tank.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

and what i do is I rip pellets and all food into really small pieces anf feed them one at a time, so it keeps the tanks cleaner, and when they poop I just scoop it up rite away..its a bit of work but what the heck the turtles happy :)
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

and what i do is I rip pellets and all food into really small pieces anf feed them one at a time, so it keeps the tanks cleaner, and when they poop I just scoop it up rite away..its a bit of work but what the heck the turtles happy :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

In spite of their hissing, do they eat when they`re in the container? If they do, I wouldn`t worry about it. Be consistent, and they should get used to it and more used to you (some turtles will always hiss, though, just their personality).
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

dont feed them out of water.they will die. i dont really understand y but thats just how it is. try a less messy food but dont feed out of the water.
  • Information