I have a couple strange questions!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I have two RES that are almost a year old and maybe tipping 3\" long. I\'ve managed not to kill them for the better part of a year but they\'ve only had the basics. I\'d like to start enhancing their lives a little more now SO.....

What KIND of aquarium plants are safe? Are there safe \"house plants\" if I want to make a prettier enclosure? What kind of \"ground\" do you guys use for a dry area? Are there any hazzards to pregnancy and turtles(like they say with cats)? If a go to New Hamshire for 2 weeks, should I take them with me(my sister & my vet won\'t take them & they made a trip from NYC to Lake Erie when they were 1 week old and lived!)? What kind of set-up do you guys have for full-grown turtles? What KIND of cuttle bone do you use(the one I got them dissolved when it hit the water!)?

I know...I know...too many questions!!! I\'m SO scared I\'m going to hurt them! They\'re growing so very fast and I need to make a plan & save up the money to make them a REALLY nice set-up instead of re-doing something every year.

I\'m just SO confused by all the contradictions on the various websites! Please help me!!!
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

HI HAMMERS ARK THESE ANSWERS ARE FROM THE TURTLE FAQS FROM THE TURTLE NEWBIE SECTION
HOPE THEY HELP X Mashayla aka Layla

Q: What kind of plants can I put in the tank with my turtles?

A: A good water plant that we loved was the water hyacinth. (Mommie didn\'t like this too well because she said it clogged up our filter!) You can also use amazon swords, anachris and water lettuce.

If you just want to go for the plant look, you can get some of those plastic plants. We like to hide out in ours!

Q: I\'m going on vacation soon. What should I do with my pet turtles?

A: It depends on how long you go on vacation. If you leave for just a weekend, we are just fine at home. My parents usually put a lot of dry food in our tank before they leave. Not too much because we may eat it all at once. We don\'t want to get a tummy ache. When they leave for about a week, they buy us a dozen feeder fish or guppies. We munch on them when we are hungry. Also we like to chase them around for entertainment.

We are not big fans of traveling, but if you want to take us with you, here are some things you can do.

Always take your turtle out of its enclosure. Find a nice clean box. Put newspaper, paper towels or kitchen towels on the bottom. Close the box so that we don\'t escape, but make sure that we get enough air to breathe.

If it\'s going to be hot (over 90 degrees Fahrenheit), you have to make sure you keep us cool. We can\'t regulate our own temperature. Put a thermometer in the box and check on us about every 15 to 30 minutes. For a short trip you can keep a moist towel with us. The evaporation will keep us cool. You can also give us baths or add a cool pack to keep us cool. But don\'t let the cool pack touch our skin as we can get frost bite!!!

When it is cold, check the thermometer every hour. You can put a heat pack or a bottle of hot water wrapped in a towel in the box with us. But don\'t set us directly on the heat source, as we may get burned.
If you travel by air (Imagine that, flying turtles!) we can fit in a small carrier. Most airlines will let us travel under the seat in front of you. Check with your airline first. If you have to check us in cargo, put us in a strong pet carrier. The baggage handlers will probably handle us better like that rather than in a box with holes. They might throw a box around! Make sure you bring us some drinking water, especially during long trips. Please request that the in-flight movie is one that we would be interested in (A little turtle humor for you)!
Hammer's Ark
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, thanks for the water plant info! I hadn\'t gotten to that section yet.

I figured out how I\'ll transport them when I go to NH this fall(thanks to your info!), I\'m STILL looking for someone to take them for me though. It\'d be a whole lot easier since we already have to take my 3 dogs AND my mom\'s dog! This should be a PEACH of a trip!!!

But the most important ones I need anwered are....

Are there safe \"house plants\" if I want to make a prettier enclosure? What kind of \"ground\" do you guys use for a dry area? Are there any hazzards to pregnancy and turtles(like they say with cats)?

Especially the pregnancy question. I\'m getting married soon & he wants kids right away! I just want to make sure if there are any special precautions I might need to take. Like my doctor recommended rubber gloves to clean the cat boxes(I have a LOT of cats), and not to cut my dogs myself(I forgot why but...whatever).

Salmonella shouldn\'t be a problem. I\'m an obsessive compulsive hand-washer...that\'s why I figured I\'d be okay with turtles. But is there anything else I might need to know?
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

this also was in the turtle care infosection hope it helps
X mashayla-Layla

\"How about some bedding or something to dig in to? You can use a peat-moss based potting soil, newspaper, or indoor/outdoor carpeting. Stay away from corncob bedding and wood shavings, especially pine wood shavings because pine oil is poisonous for your turtle. You must keep the carpet clean and you should change the newspaper every couple of days. This helps to prevent any bacteria from growing.\"
  • Information