Shell Coloring?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

My baby RES\'s shell was dark jade green when I first got it, however, now that it\'s growing the shell is getting lighter, like olive green. Is this normal? Please advise. I generally try to expose it to natural Sunlight for several hours during the week. Kindly advice me how I should proceed. Thanks in advance for all who will reply to this message. Regards, Abby
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had him? The shell is otherwise healthy-looking and firm? Many RES naturally loose the vibrant coloring they intially had as they age. (The natural sunlight is a really good idea.)
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

yes. thats normal. babies always have more vibran colors and wen they get to be really old they\'re shell will be like a foresty blackish green color. dont worry. to get back some of those pretty colors you can get a speccial UVB bulb that enhances turtles shell color.:D
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

One thing I forgot to mention about the natural sunlight (and you probably know)--it shouldn`t be through a window, screen, plexiglass or other barrier. The UVB rays will be screened out.
  • Information