white cottony stuff

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
RESpected_Turtles

My turtle has like white cottony stuff all over the fleshy parts of its body. I think it might be fungus or something. But if anyone has any Idea how to remove them please let me know. Thanks in advance.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

never heard of any thing like that u might ask a local vet if it would be alright to use a old tooth brush with soft tip and lightly brush your turtle off unger warm water it should enjoy that lol

proud owner of kai \'anela 6 month baby res
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What does the skin underneath (the new skin) look like--is it red, raw, or otherwise abnormal? Is it all over--head, neck, legs, tail, etc.)? The white stuff--is it kind of stringy, translucent and do you really notice it in the water but not when he`s out of it? If so, he could just be shedding his skin (which turtles do sometimes as they grow). If not, it sounds like it could be a fungus of some sort.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If it`s shedding, I would allow it to come off on its own, just keep the water clean.

If you think it`s a fungus, you could try a salt bath: First, rinse the turtle and use a q-tip to remove any visible fungus before soaking. Add half a tablespoon (1 and a half teaspoons) of aquarium salt (NOT table salt)to a quart of water at a comfortable temp. for the turtle. Water should be just deep enough to cover the turtle`s shell. Depending on the severity of the fungus, let the turtle soak for up to a few hours; repeat for 3-5 days. If the condition persists or if you`re in doubt, consult a herp vet.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

go in here an read waht it says about the fuzzy white stuff a couple of paragraphs down hope it helps

http://www.geocities.com/theslidersmarsh/diseases.html
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

RESpected_Turtles wrote:
My turtle has like white cottony stuff all over the fleshy parts of its body. I think it might be fungus or something. But if anyone has any Idea how to remove them please let me know. Thanks in advance.
The day before I left on a two week trip, I noticed the same white cottony \'stuff\' on my RES. In desperation I put a capsule of \'fungus cure\' in the tank. I had them left over from my fish. I used 1/2 the recommended dose because I was unsure of the safety. When I got home, my baby\'s skin was free of any fungus. Hope this helps!
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,
okay this happened on my first turtle and I went to the petstore to ask what it was...
which, if there is ever anything odd, it doesn\'t hurt to ask them.
It is a fungus which will harm your turtle if it is not treated....ask the petstore ppl for fish antibiotics and tell them exactly what it looks like and they will get you the right kind.
It is just a tablet put into the water and it dissolves in it.
Doesn\'t cost that much and will clear everything up.
Make sure you have a clean tank and are using declorinator in your tank because if you don\'t, it will occur.
There is prolly something wrong with your setup for this to be caused...maybe temp problems as well.
Anyways, good luck and get that stuff.
  • Information