Why is she trying to escape?!?!

Discussions about turtles.
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a male and female Eastern Painted turtle in my backyard pond (two have either escaped already or have been killed). Its just the female that is trying to escape and climb over and out of the rock wall barrier that keeps them in the pond. They have plenty of basking areas, but all the sudden she is trying to escape. Is this because the male is being mean to her? I am not sure if they are even old enough to mate. They have plenty of food. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!
RESpected_Turtles

I have had one of my turtles try toget out of the tank. I\'m not sure if its the same thing, but someone told me that they are just curious to walk around.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

How big and old are your two turtles? They might be trying to mate. How big is the pond? Is it big enough for both of them. Describe for us how he is being mean towds her? Is he biting? If so separate them for now. Hope to hear from you soon!
Willie
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

I dunno if its biting or just pushing around, usually no biting unless food is invloved. But almost every time the females will turn and swim away in a hurry. They are in a big 5000 gallon pond, big enough for 10 probably. They are about the size to cover my hand.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

U should put chicken wire or wire mesh over the top of ur tank to protect them from birds and other predators, and then they cant get out. They probally just want to explore their world. Good luck!
  • Information