I think i burned my turtle!! Help!

Discussions about turtles.
emmybaby23
Level 1
Level 1

I read that the turtles water needs to be warm! So, i put some warm tap water into my turtles tank, then placed him inside. He started swimming really, really fast and was ramming his head into the wall of the tank! So, i took him out really quickly, and he shut his eyes really tight and started opening and closing his mouth and was making faces! I think i hurt him, but the water wasnt that hot! I dont know what to do, or what temperature to keep the water so my turtle is okay, please help me!

-Emily
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

your turtle should have a heater in its tank...and i have my turtles tanks at 76-78 degrees...If you burnt him i can\'t imagen thats good...but i have no experience with that...did you put water conditioner in the water?
deesygirl

You may have startled him if he went from cold to warm to fast. It is very important that you check the water temps. 72-80 is a good range to keep them in. Actualy 80 does not feel real warm to the touch so you want to use a good thermometor. I use a digital it is very fast and accurate.

How is he acting now? I am not sure what to do for burns other than call the vet. I don\'t know if this has ever come up before but I will check.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

shes right u prolly just shocked him
ShellyLynn
Level 1
Level 1

Most likely you did just shock him but if you start to see skin flakes floating in his water or raw area\'s on his legs then you might have burned him. What seems to help burns and is safe for turtles is to take him out of his tank swab him with betadine it\'s okay if he gets alittle in his mouth but try not to. Then rinse him off one the betadine soaks in alittle. Let him dry out completely and lather him in antibotic ointment. You can but neosporin over the counter. Keep him out of the water for several hours so it can soak in then put him back in his tank. Repeat this everyday or as often as you can until the raw areas are covered with new skin or just a few times for skin flakes in the tank.Good Luck!
  • Information