Fighting/biting RES

Discussions about turtles.
DW79

I have 2 RES (aprox. 10-12 years) one is a little bit larger than the other. The larger one is biting the smaller one (in and out of the water), the smaller one has bite marks, and what looks like swellling or scraps on it\'s legs, tail, side of neck. What is going on and what should I do? This all started a couple of months ago, should I be worried or is this just a dominace thing. Should they be seperated (both in a 35 gal tank, feed once every other day), the smaller turtle stays out of the water for long periods at a time (5+ hours at a time and does not always eat), is it afraid of the other turtle or is there something wrong? Any suggestions are greatly apreciated!
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

seperation is in order for ur little ones for a while. it is a dominance thing. seperate them out for only a very short period of time. 2 to 3 days max. if it doesn\'t stop the seperation will have to become permenant for no futher injury to occur. mine do this but it only lasts for a short while. i hope the case is the same with yours.
potatogun

My RES (2) started doing the same thing, soon after I transferred them from a 15 gallon into a 55 gallon tank. I have tried a few times to \"reunite\" them, but the bigger one almost immediately takes hard, mean nips at the smaller one\'s legs and tail. The littler one swims around with his back legs tucked in. Very sad. I put a divider in the tank.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

got some other news for you......it\'s spring and if ur turles are male and female.......more than likely it\'s a mating thing. mine are just getting at that age and she\'s not in the moood, so she bites at Sal.
Fab Five
Level 1
Level 1

Are turtles able to tell when it is Spring if they are indoors with a controlled / consistent temperature?

ur habitat is just too cramped....

move to a bigger one...adn give them adequate hiding space, to get out fo each others way!
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

yes contrary to popular belief they can tell. its chemical changes in the air, not necessarily the habitate itself.
Shelley

I had the same problem with my RES babies when I moved them into a 55 gal tank. I also have a 10 gallon I currently have/had fish in. Mine are less than a year old, but one is much bigger than the other and more aggressive. I put the larger one in the small tank and put the fish in with the smaller RES for about a month. Obviously the 10 gal is too small so the last time I cleaned the tanks, I put the fish back in the 10 and built the basking area in the middle of the big tank. I put one on one side and one on the other so they have their own territory. They seem to be doing much better now. The smaller RES now has had the chance to be the \"big cheese\" after being with the fish (he\'s also growing and eating more)and the larger one had his/her \"time out\" all by itself for awhile. They can still get on each other\'s side, but when I catch the bigger one getting aggressive, I just pick him up and put him on the other side. So far, so good.
  • Information