Making a friendly turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Grandtrain

How in the world can I get my RES to like me? When I first got it from the pet shop, I thought that the turtle just need time to adjust. However, it had been over a month now, and it is still scare of me. I\'m worried because it is not going to bask when anyone is around. My place isn\'t exactly big enough to place the turtle in a secluded place so there will be somebody there every couple of minutes. I even stopped feeding it in a seperate tank because the trip always seem to scare him a lot. Please help. Having a cooperative turtle would make taking care of it much easier.
deesygirl

My tanks are in the living room. We have 6 kids in the house and so there is always people around. Some of my turtles tooks a few months to be comfortable enough to bask. Then just when it all goes smooth I put them outside in the pond for the summer. Took a few more weeks for them to get used to all the action again.

Don\'t worry it will get used to its area. Once it realizes that you are not going to hurt it. I personally think it is a type of instinct that makes them do this.
chula

I\'m in the same boat. I\'ve had him for six weeks and I thought by now he\'d chill out. He doesn\'t seem quite as scared as he used to be, but I still can\'t get near him. My friend says this is normal, since the babies are constantly worried about being eaten by predators. Is yours a little baby?
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Ur turtle will get to feel secure around u once it learn that u re accosicated (sp)n with food, which is always a good thing for turtles, it just mite take a while, good luck!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

You can handle your turtle as well, like 20 minutes a day. I handle my turtles a lot of the time that i am home during the day. It really seems to help!!
Willie
  • Information