Baby Turtle

Discussions about turtles.
kennedy

We bought a Red Ear Slider turtle at a flea market and I measured him and his shell is 1 1/4 inches across and the same long, how old would you say that he is? I\'m guessing he is pretty young, is there anything special that you would do to his habitat? You should have a place for him to swim and a place for him to walk around in (beach), Right? He is also really not eating that stuff that they gave us to feed him (it is some little brown pellet looking stuff they gave us in a baggie) any suggestions on that? And I really don\'t know if it is a boy or girl, it does have a long tail but then again I don\'t know how long the female tail is. Also I bought it at a flea market in Central Texas where do you think that they got him from? Please help, any information on this would be greatly appreciated
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

Read the setup section on this forum

Take care of the basics..

1> Sufficient clean space/water ...
2> Basking rock
3> Heater (if ub r in a cold place)
4> Basking (UVA light) regular bulb will not do.
5> UVB florousent bulb....(regular floroscent wont do,....2 in 1
6> Filter...
7> variety of food

try small live food(crickets,minnows)...
read about salmonella from turtles as a precaution

one should read about this before getting the turts but its never too late

Rahul
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

To get him started eating, look at my response in the Turtle Health forum to the \"My Baby Won`t Eat\" post. Water temp. should be 78-82 degrees F (if it`s too cold your turtle won`t eat). Basking area air temp. should be around 88-90 degrees F (about 10 degrees warmer than the water). The UVB light is very important for the health of his shell. Read the information about caring for your turtle.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Just to tell u, u brought a illegal turtle! U cant buy turts under 4 in. (jus dun tell no1!) Ur turt needs atelast a 10 gallon tank, a basking spot, around 2 inches of water (make it higher as it grows) and ur turtle prob isnt eating cuz u just got him/her. Ur turt needs some time to get used to its new home before it starts to eat. u should also feed it like romain (sp) letuce, reptomin sticks (found at pet stores) and veggies. U wont know wiether its a gurl or a boy until it gets older. Good luck!
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry Amez...

U cant sell a turtle below 4 inches shell size..
U however can buy a turt under that size.

This entire selling below 4 inches prohibition is because of salmonella being spread by smaller turtles.
I guess the concept would be if u buy its ur responsibility ..but if your are selling somebody else might have to suffer...(but this reasoning is just speculation)
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

oo ok, thx for correctin me!
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

hey amez i got a ? can u tell gender or age by there size i have a RES
ladyangel
Level 1
Level 1

kennedy, all the replies so far are very correct! it is illegal to sell a turtle under 4 inches, i hope the seller informed you of possible salmonella. after handling it be sure to use an antibacterial on your hands & wash areas that it may have been with an antibacterial also.if res\'s are much like painted\'s, i would guess your turtle is about 0 - 1 year old. my baby painted was the size of a quarter when we found him/her over 1 year ago. it needs water & a place to bask. as far as appetite, it needs to become familiar with the new surroundings & the water should be 75-85 degrees but keep an eye open for shell rot, this is a calcium deficiency. continue offering the sticks, these have the vitamins that a turtle needs. once a week i give my turtles a multivitamin & vitamin A. in the event of shell rot go to your local pet store they should have a solution to soak it in. having a baby turt that size is SO fun but can be LOTS of work. a few months ago i thought my baby was going to die & the vet i called didn\'t think it would live but thanks to our reptile lady, at the pet store,& all the good advice from this site, my baby is alive, healthy, & very active! so, good luck, congradulations, & have fun with baby!
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

Lady angel i have a baby im not sure how old it is its 1 in lond and 1/2 inch wide its very active and seems healty its a RES i think do u know how to tell age or gender
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

You for sure won\'t be able to tell its gender yet. Its age...i would ask some1 that breeds turtles.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

alright thanx
  • Information