Cuttlebone

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Grandtrain

I have my turtles in the same tank as my fishes. They are seperated, though. Is it safe to place a cuttlebone in there? Would it poison the fish?
deesygirl

The cuttlebone will not hurt your fish.
Hammer's Ark
Level 1
Level 1

Did I get the wrong KIND of cuttle bone? When I put it in the water, it DISSOLVED!!! Are there different ones? Maybe I should find a better source than PetsMart?
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

im getting some feeder fish will that bother them or hurt them or my turtle in any way ?
im juast checkin cuz i have an RES an dill proolly get 10-15 feeer fish since there like 10 cents
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The only kind of cuttlebone I know of the kind you buy for birds. I take the hard backing off, break it into pieces and keep a few floating in the tank. I add more as they are eaten. If they`re not eaten (not a problem with my RES), they will sink to the bottom and/or get slimy. I`ve never heard of it dissolving totally. (If there are tiny bits on bottom, are you sure your turtle isn`t munching on it?)
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

hahaha last night i read this and i have some birds so i went and got some CB out of a bag and i pulled the hard stuff off and broke off a peice half the size of my RES(my RES is 1 in long and 1 in wide) and it was so funny he was pushin it around klimbin on top and then it would flip over on him and he try again lol
X mashayl-layla
Hammer's Ark
Level 1
Level 1

Well...since I didn\'t even walk away before it started falling apart...I\'m fairly sure they didn\'t eat it! :^)

Maybe I just got some sort of a defective one or something! Who knows!!!

If the bird one is the only one there IS, I\'ll try another one.

It was really weird...it just started bubbling like crazy, sank to the bottom & started falling apart! Then I needed to do a complete water change, and I\'d just done one the night before! ARRRGGGHH! The bubbles really upset Gladys(she\'s very sensitive) but Maynard just climbed onto the rocks & waited for me to fish it out! LOL

Oh well, I\'ll try again. Thanks!
  • Information