Any help for algae?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
misskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to cutting down the growth of algae in my tank?

I feed Shady and Sunshine in a separate tub which has wonderfully helped with the overall cleanliness of the tank. I change the water and try to really wash the gravel out well about once every 4-6 weeks but once it hits about 3-4 weeks there is a growth spurt of algae on the rocks in the tank as well as along the sides of the tank where the gravel slopes upward to their basking area. Even though I try to clean the bigger rocks well with hot water and a toothbrush I can\'t seem to get rid of the algae.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Is ur tank by a window? that mite be why it keeps on coming back. U could get some plecos, or chinse algae eater to eat the algea. Good luck
misskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Amez wrote:
Is ur tank by a window? that mite be why it keeps on coming back. U could get some plecos, or chinse algae eater to eat the algea. Good luck
Thanks for your reply. The tank is catty-corner to a window. what\'s plecos and a chinese algae eater? I could get either at pet store right?
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Yep, those are fish. u could get them at a local pet store for around 3-4 dollas.
Teeny Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

If you turtles tank is by a window it may cause algae groth. hat means it is getting to my UVB rays. Try moveing it away from the window. It is still good to take you turtle outside to play but watch him/her very carefully.
ch2s
Level 1
Level 1

If you can afford it get those UV sterilizers that you connect to an external filter and it kills algea/bacteria by sending UV light in the water.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You could read the post \"I Hate Algae\" in this board for other alternatives.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i have a snail that kinda helps.it huge so they dont try to eat it
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
I followed the advice of Mariza in my \"I Hate Algae\" post. The best thing was getting a Plecos algae eater! That little sucker is GREAT! My turtles tried to attack it at first but it is a tuff little fish and now they gave up trying to get it. Also partial water changes work super! Good Luck!
  • Information