Is Hibernation so bad?

Discussions about turtles.
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 Eastern Painted turtles in my backyard pond, and I am in Oregon where it stays pretty cold during the fall and winter, but right now its nice and warm, and I just got the turtles a few days ago. But everyone says bring your turtles in for the winter, or they will hibernate. Isnt that what is natural? My turtles will be ok if I leave them out, right? Any comments or answers would be great, thanks so much guys!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How big/old are they? If they`re babies I don`t think it would be good to let them hibernate outside the first year. It would be good if you read some care sheets and got some information about optimal hibernating conditions for them. (A book I have says for painted turtles and care: \"keep in garden pond from June to August,\" and under hibernation: \"winter cooling if breeding is desired.\" This is just general info for painteds--I don`t know if there are any differences for the different types.)
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

My painteds are palm size, but i dunno how old they are. Is there a special heating system i can buy to put in one area of the pond?
  • Information