Okay my turtle is not eating now

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lemons4rus

My RES(Picaso) hasn\'t been eating for the past 4 days. It just kinda sits in one area for periods of time sleeping. But it\'s also active too. It swims around, climbs it\'s rock sits up under the heat lamp, when no one is looking and then jumps into the water and goes all bezerk when someone walks in. But what i noticed that was odd was how it stretches it\'s head out and stares at the floor a lot. Also he was staring at me the other day and was making a *tik* *tik* sound while opening it\'s mouth. Is this normal???? Please any ideas would be helpful. I\'ve tried changing it\'s food and nothing there either. So if anyone knows a remedy let me know.

Thank You!!
-Aamir
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You said it makes a sound when it opens its mouth--how often is it opening his mouth. Is he yawning/gaping a lot? Is he making any other noises when it breathes? Is there any white\\mucus in his nose or mouth? When he swims, is there any listing to one side? The sound, combined with the lack of appetite sounds like it may be the beginning of a respiratory infection. If he`s basking a lot, it could be his attempt to cure himself (the heat boosts the immune system). If he`s showing any of the symptoms, I would take him to a herp vet for antibiotics.
lemons4rus

He\'s just yawning/gaping mostly when he\'s out of water, when he\'s on his basking area. No sign of white\\mucus in his nose or mouth. But he is basking a lot more than he usually does, I even take him outside and let him bask under the sun. Thanks for the help so far. I\'m going to wait till the end of today to see if his situation has changed a bit, if not then i\'m going to take him to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks once again for the help.
-Aamir
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You`re welcome. I think the herp vet is a really good idea.
  • Information