red eye turtle bites

Discussions about turtles.
Anjie

Do red eye turtles bite? If they do does it hurt or draw blood? My turtle snaps at me sometimes but doesn\'t bite me. What does that mean when she snaps at me?

we guess you mean \"red eared slider\"!!!

and if you do.. yes they have powerful jaws...that can pinch really hard....and may even draw blood!!

so be a lil careful... the best way to hold them is with between the thumb and middle finger, supported underneath by the other palm!

for more info on the red-eared-slider (RES).. you can refer to the Pet Turtle site
at http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

mine only does this when they are hungry. well, really linus only does it. the others are pretty much okay. when hungry they all seem to go for each other.
but to be on the safe side i wouldn\'t go around waving my finger in their face. LOL
Fab Five
Level 1
Level 1

I read that you have had RES since age 5. In your experience, how often have they injured one another 1) biting (as a result of hunger or aggression) and 2) with their claws, specifically to the eyes (Is the forefront claw shaking always mating related... or can it be a aggression between two males?)
Thanks!
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I read that you have had RES since age 5. In your experience, how often have they injured one another 1) biting (as a result of hunger or aggression) and 2) with their claws, specifically to the eyes (Is the forefront claw shaking always mating related... or can it be a aggression between two males?)
Thanks!

Luckily they have never injured each other. Or should I say blessed. They can very much hurt each other. I\'ve never been bitten but I have only had 4 out of the 12 i own and owned show this type of agression. I have seen my two of my males do this, but I\'m not sure if it was showing who was dominate or not. I\'m not a dummy when it comes to my turtles, but I don\'t know everything either. LOL =o) Hope this helps just a little.
Fab Five
Level 1
Level 1

I know you are not an expert, but I believe that owner\'s experiences are often much more informative than what is available from \"experts\". Thanks!
  • Information