we just found this guy and would like to identify him~ Can y

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
turtletots

I\'d love to post a pic, but am new and don\'t know how. My son and I found this turtle and really want to know what kind he is. We live in Southwestern Montana. He was found near a stream..kind of a canal. He\'s 6 in. from the tip to end of shell. He\'s dark green with a tortiseshell type pattern on his back. It\'s not bright, just a plain, dark green, and not raised up much. His neck is long, and is dark green with bright yellow striping. His underside and on the inside of his shell is a gorgeous, vibrant pink with a more faded green. The pattern is oblong. Looks faded, like it might have been red, but not now. He has red on his legs, but not much. Long claws too. He seems pretty aggresive. Likes to bite! If this isn\'t enough of a description, and you want a pic or 2...just let me know. I have msn and yahoo chat...the screen name is Savageangel33. Thanks all of you for having this place for my son and I to come to and learn, as well as share!
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

I am not too much of an expert on turtles, I own 4 Eastern Painted turtles. But I do know if it had long claws, its a male, females usually have short claws, males longer for mating purposes. Best thing to do is let him go, its not good to take a wild turtle into your home, you can probably find many domesticated turtles at your local pet shop (they are much happier when kept at home, and they usually dont bite). But good luck with him! Check different websites to look at pics to try and identify him.
deesygirl

It depends on where you live, exactly. I also live in SW Montana, Butte to be exact and there are no turtles native to this area. However if you live over by Whitehall on the Jefferson there are mud turtles there. So it all depends.
My RES Lucky, was found in the creek here. Someone did not want her anymore and dumped her there. Luckily someone found her or she would have never made it. There is not an appropriate food source and the winters are to cold for them here.
If you would like, you can email me and we will see if we can get to the bottom of your mystery. Just make sure you put \"turtle\" in the message title so I don\'t erase it. :)
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

sounds like a RES
  • Information