how to get my turtle to trust me

Discussions about turtles.
turtleman13

I have had my 2 red ear sliders for about a year now. But they dont seem to trust me because they are scared to be touched by me. Also when i have them in my hand they open there mouth to bite whatever comes near there mouth. My turtles are kid of big now so when they bite it hurts. how do i get my turles to trust me.
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

probably nothing

my 6 res also usually try to bite my fingers
ive heard you can handle them more often to get them to trust you
but it might not work like in the case of my res. if you need to handle them just be quicker than they are
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I have had my 2 res for only 4 months but the know me. They are so cute I can\'t help but tell them every time I walk by their aquarium so they respond to my voice. When I hold them they stick their heads out so I can rub under their chin. They LOVE me! It\'s hard to picture a man baby-talking to turtles but I think that is the key.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles have different personalities, just like people. That said, how often do you pick up your turtles? When you do pick them up, do you have one hand under them so their feet are supported or are they left \"swimming\" in mid air? Do you feed them out of the tank so they get used to you picking them up (and associating you with food)? Did you get them as babies? (It`s easier to get a baby used to you.)Do you spend time being around them so they get used to you having you around?

I`ve had my turtle 8 months (he`s about 9 months old, I think) and when I got him, he was afraid of my slightest movement. He has gotten to the point where he swims up to check my hand for food (and will try to give it a nip first thing in the morning when he`s expecting it) and will climb on it to be picked up to be taken out and put in his feeding container. I do take him out sometimes, and when I let him walk around he will come over to where I`m standing and crawl over my toes (he seems to like toes). He`s also starting coming to me when I`m sitting across the room from him motion/call to him.

Some turtles always remain skittish (their nature), but I really think that with time, persistence, patience (and maybe a little food in the beginning), most of them really can get used to you.
California_Girl
Level 2
Level 2

i know. i have the same problem with my turts, and sincemy mom said that my grandma made the same sound ver and over to familiarize her coming with something good 2 eat, so that\'s what i do with my turs.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Just handle them a lot, hang out with them.
Willie
  • Information