Adoption?

Discussions about turtles.
lisa538

Hi All... I am so confused about what to do about my turtles. I have two, two year old Sliders who are my pride and joy. I am three months pregnant and paranoid about the whole Salmonella issue. When it was just me constantly taking care of them, I was careful, but with a baby on the way I feel like it is too much of a risk. I considered putting them up for adoption, but I have a complete set up for them and wouldn\'t be able to ship everything. I also don\'t want them to go to someone that might not take good care of them. Does anyone know of any local resources that I might find someone to care for them if I do decide? I am in New York.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Your new baby will only get salmonella if s/he puts the turtles in her/his mouth or if s/he touches ur sliders and then doesn\'t wash her/his hands. Anyways, ur turtle prob doesnt even have salmonella since they only get selmonella when you feed them raw meats.

Sorry, but I dont know any adoption places in NY, but i hope the stuff i rote above helps u make ur decision! Good luck!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You could try turtlehomes.org, but I think if you were careful (washing hands, etc.) you wouldn`t need to worry and could keep your turtles.
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

try advertising on the net..in forums.
I am sure a lot of people will be willing to adopt a res...

Though you can keep the res and make sure that you or baby dont come in contact with the turt...(or at least wash your hands after you touch the turt)...

It just like keeping your child away from other objects in your house which can be harmful....Salmonella spreads only by touch and not through the air...
  • Information