active uv heat bulb

Discussions about turtles.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Not sure if anyone of you have tried those bulbs with the heat+uv in one bulb, but I have and like to share what I think of it. It is pricey, like 50+ and they state it lasts for 1 yr. Mine didn\'t even last 3 months. I\'m not sure if it\'s because my turtles splashing caused it to burn out or what, but it didn\'t last that long. Anyhow, I did however notice the turtle basking much more often during that period and they seemed to enjoy it. You can definitely tell it was brighter as well. There\'s also two types of these bulbs, flood and spot. I think flood bulbs is where the light is spreaded out and spot is when it\'s concentrated in one spot. Not sure if I would purchase another one though, I think there\'s a warranty, but I lost my receipt. Anyone want to share their experiences with that bulb?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Light bulbs also loose life when turned on and off very often, that\'s probably another facter, since you had to turn it on in the morning and off every night. I\'ve never used one of these lights, but one of my cousins uses it for his 2 RES and its been lasting for 9 months so far. What kind of brand did you have, thats also another factor.
Willie
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Not sure what brand it was, but I purchased it from dr. foster and smith (I think they only sell one brand).
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I was just reading about them today and they sound great. A new one was being advertised--a 60-watt that was equivalent to 160 watts. You have to use a special adapter (?) with it though. You`re supposed to be able to have the warranty prorated, so you get your money`s worth.
  • Information