We just bought our son two turtles...

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

Saturday 06/28/03 we purchased two turtles for our son. He has been wanting a turtle for months now and we finally conceeded. I believe we have a red earred slider and also a Mississippi Map turtle. They both are smaller than the size of a half dollar. We bought a set up and put them in the tank with two Mystery snails and two goldfish. I find myself constantly checking them because I\'m not exactly sure if we have everything right. We have a 20 gallon tank, a filter, pump, gravel, basking light and lid. We have several different foods for them. None of which they have eaten yet.

I will have MANY questions, I\'m sure. I have been searching the net for a board similar to this one in order to have someone to ask questions of.

Right now I am wondering if turtles require a dry space. By this I mean a space where they can get completely dry. The way our tank is set up I don\'t believe they will ever get completely dry. They can get out of the water and bask on a rock but both of these areas get splashed by a waterfall pump used to aeorate the water.

What do we need to do now to ensure our turtles stay healthy?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Welcome to the turtle world!!! It is so fun!! Your 20 gallon is fine for right now, you will need to get a bigger one soon though, (I\'m not exactly sure on the growth rate of RES and Mississippi Maps) Its important that you have a good filter, could u tell us what kind it is? The gravle might be a good hiding place for bad bacteria to grow, or something for your turtles to eat, so be very careful with the gravle. You will need to get a heater for your tank that can into the water and keep the water temp at a contant, good level. It will take a little while for them to get used to this new home so they might not eat for a good week or so until they get used to the tank. They will probibly need some hiding palces to get away from eachother if they get on eachothers nerves. Maybe place a large rock in the middle or side of the tank, but some real or fake water plants in there. They need to get completely dry and warmed up. Thunda doesnt need to get completely dry so u can ask another person to help you with building or buying a basking area. You should also include in their diet some live insects, dead insects, cooked meat. You can buy a reptile multivitamin at your local pet store to spinkle onto the food. Feel free to ask more quetions. Hope thsi helps, and good luck!!!
Willie
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I do not recommend Gravel for two reasons, it is very hard to clean out, and there is a good chance that your turtles will swallow a pebble, as that happened to mine, and in some cases it may have to be surgically removed, I recommend large pond rocks, they look natural and are easy to clean. The 20 gallon is good for now, but it is sure that you will have to uprgrade. (everyone learns it the hard way) Your Turtles will need a place where they can get completely dry, maybe try a ramp type basking area so they can get higher where the water may not splash them. This is better secure your turtles for things like shell rot or fungus. One thing I would like to ask if you have a UVB Light? as it is essential for a turtle. It provides them with the UV rays that are needed for the turtles to synthesis of Vitimin D3 which is vital to the health of there shell. Also Strive for clear water. Many problems occur if you do not have good water, I would invest most money on a good cannister filter. like the Fluval 404. If you are on a budget, you may look into having your turtles in a plastic container like me, I have a 40 gallon rubbermaid and it works great. I know you will your turtles very pleasant pets. Enjoy and good luck!
  • Information