my painted\'s are biting each other!

Discussions about turtles.
ladyangel
Level 1
Level 1

i have 2 male & 2 female painted turtles. the males are getting very aggressive! so aggressive that they are biting each other & the females also. can their bite cause bleeding or open sores? & is there a way to calm their aggression?
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

This is pretty serious and could cause harm to ur turtles. You probally should seperate them for a while.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Willie
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

agressiveness might have nothing to do with mating. If space or food isnt enough the turtles might start fighting. They are anyways territorial creatures.

But i have heard that if you raise 2 turts from hatchlings together there is a chance they might get along (provided there is sufficient space and food.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, i agree, but it is a very high chance of being mating. It is mating season in some areas still, and when having those many turtles and sexes of turtles in 1 tank, the symptoms are what she explained. You didnt state the fact that it could be mating agression, so i thought that i would tell her that.
Willie
ladyangel
Level 1
Level 1

thanks guys! we\'re going to try separating & pairing them up.they seem to have already paired themselves, so we\'ll give this a try. if you have a better suggestion please let me know. thanks so very much again!
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

is it happening when they are feeding
ladyangel
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Grifter, it happens at anytime. They can still have leftovers in the water & they still nip at each other. i am pretty sure now that their biting isn\'t causing the bleeding. The ramp we had set up for them might had been too high, so it\'s lower now & they seem to be fine. So thanks all for your advice & have a wonderful 4th of july!
  • Information