Ear Abscess

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

First thing I thought, was this a tumor?
anyways, i looked online, looks like it is Ear Abscess.
How serious is this?
does it go away?
should i get it treated?
is my turtle in pain?
deesygirl

An ear abscess is actually quite common. It does need to be treated however. The abscess need to be drained and this involves cutting out the infected part. Some herp keepers are able to do this however I would recommend taking your turtle to the vet if you are unfamiliar with the procedure. They will also give your turtle some antibiotics.

To prevent infection from occuring keep you tank as clean as possible and do frequent water changes.
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

so it wont just go away?
i think it just formed, how soon should i take it to a vet?
deesygirl

It will not go away by itself. Or at least I have never heard of one doing that. Due to the fact that it is an infection. Left untreated it could spread and kill your turtle. In the wild most turtles do not develop this as it is from water quality.

I would take him to a vet as soon as you possibly can. If that is difficult or if there are no vets in your area to treat turtles, you might also call around to some herp pet specialty stores. In the town I live in we only have one pet store. Thankfully the owner is very good with herps and has taught me some of the basics. You might get lucky and find the same where you are.

Good luck
Leon

I have just noticed that one of my turtles has this. Exactly how much does this procedure cost on average? :(
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve heard of a wide range of prices, depending on how long the turtle was under care, antibiotics, etc. You should have it taken care of as soon as you can, though--it won`t get better without treatment and it`s supposed to be painful.
  • Information