Moving to a new city...

Discussions about turtles.
edpaff_jr
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to move my turles with me. The drive is 600 miles, which I plan to do in one trip. What kind of container should I use, how much water (if any) should I put in there, etc. By the way, they are 2 RES, that are close to a year old and have had no problems at all...
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

You should use a rubbermaid tub. Be sure you have a cover too. Since it is a pretty long ride, make a make-shift tank for them. Just put a little water though, jus enough to keep them moist. Also drill a lot of holes in the cover and put it on the tub. your all set now! Hope this helps
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

This is taken from \"www.artsofnature.com\".
It explains their method of shipping.I have bought from them and think this is a better way of moving.

a> Water in a rubbermaid i have seen splashes around too much in the container.
the paper shreds will sort of pack and cushion the turts and minimize the vibrations.
b>As the paper shreds are wet ,they will keep the turts moist.My turts were shipped overnight Your drive will take about 10 to 11 hours maximum for a 600 mile drive.I think you should be good with this method.

Note : Make sure the box is kept right side up.

www.artsofnature.com
http://artsofnature.com/frameset2.html

we start with a medium size styrofoam box and fill it with soft, wet shreaded paper. We place a turtle in the middle of this wet shreaded paper and close the styrofoam box. We then fill half of a large cardboard box with foam peanuts & place the styrofoam box in the large box. We fill the rest of the box with foam peanuts ensuring no movement. A 48 hour heat or cold pack (depending on the time of year)is placed in this box with the peanuts. The box is securely closed.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Would this sufficate the turtle?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

There are pores in styrofoam, but still, not big enough.
Midori
Level 1
Level 1

i moved from NYC to Atlanta. about 900 miles or so. I went by car. I had 2 baby res, only about 1\" in size. i had them in a plastic container that i used to feed them in. I put in a wet towel and then i put something over them so it was dark, so maybe they would sleep, which they didn\'t really do. they made it to atlanta ok. i kept a thermometer and checked every so often to make sure they weren\'t too hot or too cold. then at pit stops i let them swim around a little and get a drink.
edpaff_jr
Level 1
Level 1

I forgot I started this thread. Thanks for your help everyone. Both of my turtles survived the move, and are doing great in their new home!!!
  • Information