broken shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
CWentzEMT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just rescued a slider who was hit by a car. He has a fracture of both his carapace and his plastron. Even more concerning is that one of his front legs appears broken and he\'s blowing bloody bubbles out of his nose (I\'m thinking pulmonary contusions?). Just wondering...what is the success rate of repairing a broken leg? I\'ve fixed plenty of shells before (I\'m a vet. tech.) but this guy seems much worse off. Is this worth trying or am I torturing the poor thing?!
SeanO
Level 1
Level 1

p.s. plz let us know what happens to the turtle. I hope you can save him/her.
SeanO
Level 1
Level 1

found newspaper artical, one success with broken legs

Or one dog, two cats and a couple of dozen turtles. Lorri Cramer manages all of the above while running a turtle rehabilitation program from her apartment on the upper West Side. It\'s a vocation the art teacher says she came to \"by accident\" when, 23 years ago, her nephew rescued a box turtle being used by two boys as a baseball, and asked his aunt to take care of it. \"It had broken legs and a broken shell. I said I would take it, but then when I got home to New York City, I found that none of the veterinarians knew what to do with it.\"

Undaunted, Cramer started reading books. She kept the turtle clean, put splints on his legs, and little by little, he started to improve. \"But in the meantime, we couldn\'t get a turtle sitter, so he used to travel with us in a plastic picnic basket. No one knew he was in there.\"
SeanO
Level 1
Level 1

the folowing is a link to a list of herp vets they should be able to help http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

YOU MUST GO TO A VET !!!!!!!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY AND ONLY A VET CAN SAVE THIS TURTLE\'S LIFE, DONT BE AFRAID TO WALK INTO THE VET CLINIC WITH A TURTLE, THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF HIM THERE, MAY BE A LITTLE PRICY, BUT ITS FOR A TURTLE.
WILLIE
CWentzEMT
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your advice! I did go to a vet...as I work for several :). So far the slider is doing well. I managed to make a splint that seems to be working pretty well. I figure I\'ll leave it in place for 6 weeks or so, then re-xray it and see if it is healing. I\'m giving him injections of Baytril every 24 hours. He is no longer blowing blood...or anything...out of his nose. I\'ve been doing wet to dry bandages on the shell fracture, and I\'m going to epoxy it this weekend pending the culture results. I\'ll keep you all posted!
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds Great!! That turtle is very lucky because of you!!! Keep us posted!
Willie
deesygirl

I have been following this post and am curios as to how the culture came back?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Willie
Last edited by Willie on Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deesygirl

CWentz mentioned that the shell would get epoxied once the culture came back. Cultures are a way to test for bactieria infections. If the culture came back negative then that means that the shell can be epoxied with little risk of \"sealing\" in an infection. A negative result also means a shorter recovery time= Good news for the RES.
  • Information