turtles in kiddie pool...

Discussions about turtles.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

It\'s summer now and we\'re thinking of putting the turtles outdoors in a kiddie pool, but we\'re not sure how to do it. I read somewhere that someone left their turtle out in a pool in the sun and it died (it was a baby). Anyhow, how will we go about doing this? Do we need to have it in partial shade? How about predators? Our yard is gated, but cats like to go in our yard sometimes, can the turtles fend for themselves? And about the pool, most of the kiddie pools aren\'t that deep, how deep are your guys pool? Thanks
P.S. My turtles are 1 1/2 yrs old now
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

you definitely have to protect against predators by covering pool with some mesh...

Also if you are treating the water with chlorine or other chemicals , that might be harmful to the turtles.

Also need to provide a basking rock...turtles wont be able to survive in the water alone ,they need to get dry or their shells are gonna go soft...
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for replying. The pool we\'re thinking of getting is real sturdy and wide, but not so deep. But all kiddie pools aren\'t that deep, so I guess it\'ll do. We are going to build a fence soon, just waiting for the June gloom to go away (from california).
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

You have to make sure the the walls of the pool are high enough, about 3-4 times the hieght of your turtle standing, turtles are excelent excape artists esspecially when it comes to kiddie pools!! I agree with rahul, you have to have to put mesh or wire mesh over the top. Even though turtles have strons shells, the cats can cary them aways or get in the shells and kill the turtle...be very careful. Other then that sounds great, good luck!!!
Willie
  • Information