Need help ASAP or sooner

Discussions about turtles.
niccimouse1103

Ok here is the problem. I have a 14 mo. old turtle. (royetta) and by brother just gave me a hachling. he told me that I could put them together in the same tank in like a week and they would be ok. Well he just called me and said that they were at a turtle shop and they were told not to but the two together that the baby would die. Is this true?
please help me.
Nicci
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

it totally is going to depend on the turtles..I wouldn\'t chance putting them together until the little guy is a bit bigger..but slowly introducing the two..
I\'ve seen the result of 2 turtles disliking one another....the one lost a head..
the larger one could turn violent..
it\'s best not to chance it
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

What is the species of the two turtles?...Res would probibly do well together, but, yes, introduce them over a two week period, everyday adding a half an hour togeher, until they get to all day. At night might be a little tricky, before you putt them both in for the night make sure that there is no agression from ethier side. hope this helps.
Willie
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

MishFish, how old were the turtles when the fatal clash occured?
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

There was only a slight size differences and it was the larger one who bit the head off of the slightly smaller one.
It all depends upon the attitude to the turtles and if they are used to being solitary or in the comfort of other turtles.
I believe that these two turtles were used to one another BUT their tanks were WAAAYYYYY too small resulting in this incident. Turtles need plenty of room just in case they are in disagreement about something.
ladyangel
Level 1
Level 1

i\'m not sure but maybe the sex of the turtles would help in deciding. before we got our 2 male painteds, we had 2 females & 1 baby no more than a 1-2 years old. we could put our baby in with them & it was just fine. although, we never left it overnight with them. the thing we feared most was the baby being trampled on. now that we have 2 males also, i wouldn\'t trust them with our baby, as they are too aggressive.
  • Information