ATE ROCKS!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
slider
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have two RES. One is pretty big and one is a lil guy. I bought rocks for them and the rocks are the biggest size. I noticed that my big turtle ate a rock, what should I do? Also, I feed my turtle a lot and I think he might be rapidly growing too fast. He goes nuts when I come into the room because he wants food.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

My Res once ate rocks, when I found out, I got rid of all the rocks, now I use no substrate at all, and its so much easier to clean out the tank, i would get rid of the rocks, and get ones that you are sure that he cannot swallow if u really want substrate. When I got rid of the rocks, about a day later, I saw the same rock in my tank, so my turtle just pooped the rock out. Some people say its ok, some say its really serious. Well, I think its both, cuz if that rock doesn\'t past thru it can get stuck and may have to be surgically removed, or it could rip the insides of the turtle. About the rapid growing, don\'t get soft hearted when your turtle begs for food, feed him only what you think he needs, Its always better to have him a little bit hungry than 100% full all the time.
femmfaerie
Level 1
Level 1

Jude wrote:
My Res once ate rocks, when I found out, I got rid of all the rocks, now I use no substrate at all, and its so much easier to clean out the tank, i would get rid of the rocks, and get ones that you are sure that he cannot swallow if u really want substrate. When I got rid of the rocks, about a day later, I saw the same rock in my tank, so my turtle just pooped the rock out. Some people say its ok, some say its really serious. Well, I think its both, cuz if that rock doesn\'t past thru it can get stuck and may have to be surgically removed, or it could rip the insides of the turtle. About the rapid growing, don\'t get soft hearted when your turtle begs for food, feed him only what you think he needs, Its always better to have him a little bit hungry than 100% full all the time.
my turtles ate some gravel so i removed it, and for teh next 6 months i was still cleaning them out of the tank...but my turtles are fine. My turtles eat everything! There new thing is eating there filter - so you might want to be prepared for this one too. =)
slider
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure he can poop that rock. It was pretty big. I am thinking of just taking out the small ones that can fit in his mouth.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

its prolly not safe for him to eat n/e kind of rocks i have an tiny REs and as soon as igot it i kleaned my tank out completely threw the gravel away and got some BIG flat rocks on da bottom
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles sneek rocks into their mouths sometimes. They should be fine if they dont eat a lot. If they do eat too much at a time, take them too a vet imedeatly!!! I\'m not saying its ok to eat rocks, just that it won\'t kill them if they do eat a few in thier life time. Keep in Touch.
Willie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Better to use smooth river rocks larger than the turtle`s head so they cannot be eaten. There is always the possibility that the turtle could become impacted, which will require a vet. It`s better to eliminate potential problems rather than giving them the chance to occur.

Some people say that when a turtle eats rocks it`s looking for calcium. Get some cuttlebone (the stuff for birds), take off the hard backing, break it into pieces and let them float in the tank. It will give your turtle something to munch on and it`s really good for his shell.
  • Information