Turtle in kiddie pool...

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

It\'s summer now and we\'re thinking of putting the turtles outdoors in a kiddie pool, but we\'re not sure how to do it. I read somewhere that someone left their turtle out in a pool in the sun and it died (it was a baby). Anyhow, how will we go about doing this? Do we need to have it in partial shade? How about predators? Our yard is gated, but cats like to go in our yard sometimes, can the turtles fend for themselves? And about the pool, most of the kiddie pools aren\'t that deep, how deep are your guys pool? Thanks
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Putting your turtles in a kiddie pool for the summer is a great idea. Though i think you should fence the pool in, so that predators cant get in, and the turtles don\'t get out. You should have a baskin area, and some shade for them to hide. A cave preferablly would be good so that they can also hide underwater when they feel threatened. Fill your pool according to how wide your turtle is, if it is 4 in wide, then fill in the pool with 4 inches of water. Good Luck!
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Good idea on the cave! I wonder how I would go about building one though, any suggestions?
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

You could make your cave by stacking bricks making sort of a upside down \"U\". This works very well, but make shure that they are stable just in case, so they don\'t fall or wobble. This could be incorprated(sp) into you basking area, as the top of the brick you could add a slate rock, making the basking area:) Hope this helps! Or you could always buy one :) Good luck, pictures too!
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

Wow! Excellent idea! Thanks! I\'m going to do just that. I\'m making the turtle\'s home this weekend. Will be posting up pictures when I\'m done.
JEFFREY
Level 1
Level 1

oakenfold wrote:
Good idea on the cave! I wonder how I would go about building one though, any suggestions?
YES A GOOD CAVE IDEA IS BREAK A BIG CLAY POT IN HALF AS BEST AS YOU CAN SET IN IN THE WATER MINE LOVES HIS
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great idea too..and works for indoor setups as well:)
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

i used rocks from a creek and then made it a cave by stacking them
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

the kiddie pool is not a bad idea
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah if i were living in a villa i would definately use a kiddie pool..ones with slides could be fun too..and i can get in there with the turtles lol
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

I think the easiest way to protect them from predators is to cover a wire mesh or something like that over the entire kiddie pool and allows sunlight to pass through so the turtles can bask.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I found a site with a picture of a kiddie pool setup, looks nice and it is indoors, take a look:
http://members.shaw.ca/turtles/tank.htm

I wish I had the room for it:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i like it..but for me it should be kept in my room and there\'s no space for it..thanx anyways stray:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You\'re welcome, I liked the fact that they made the setup indoors so you don\'t have to worry about predators, maybe when you move you will have enough room:D:D
turtleman1

:D yeah sounds cool
Alisa0206

I have two 8 inch sliders and we keep them in a kiddie pool over the summer. We have never had a problem except, mosquitos and dragon flies laying eggs in the water and it getting really dirty. I reconmend the kiddie pool. When it got cold out we brought the pool in and then it was too big to leave in the living room so we put them in a big storage container.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that\'s great too:)
yeah i think kiddie pools are not very appropriate for indoors
  • Information