Turtle Breathing

Discussions about turtles.
inova1
Level 1
Level 1

How long can a RES breath out of water, or in water, and what is the purpose of turtle being in water? Thanks.
oakenfold
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m not sure how long they can hold their breaths, but they know when to come up for air. As to why they\'re in the water, I would think it\'s for exercise, to hunt for food (like in the wild) and to stay hydrated.
deesygirl

Your RES does not \"breath\" in water. However water is very improtant. They need water in order to eat there food. For some reason they do not eat on land. I still have not figured out why :) Water is also very important for them to stay hydrated. They do not drink the water, they absorb it. As far as times I have seen mine stay submerged for hours.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

turtles dun actually breath in water, but they can last in there for about 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the age, how big your turtle is and how good your turtle is at swimming.

Turtles eat in water because they have no tongues. They pull the food into thier beaks and use the water to push it down thier throats. No water -- not way to swallow.

My hatchlings can stay underwater for about 2 hours before they come up for air.

I\'ve seen older turtles stay under 4-5 hours at a stretch.

Some large Snapping Turtles will stay under for 2-3 days at a stretch.. They aren\'t moving much.. They bury themselves in the mud and stay pretty still.

Hope that helps!

;) GABE
inova1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone answering my questions. Good things to know for sure.

RES\'s are sorta like us,they can breath out of water for as long as they want,because they are mammals,they can breath under water for a few minutes.thats all I know.
  • Information