cuttle bone

Discussions about turtles.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve heard people mention on here that they have a cuttle bone in their turtles tank to help out with the calcium thing. My turtle is a water turtle, so how do I put the thing in? Do I just lay it in the bottom and let it disolve, or hang it on the side? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Boom
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

you can let it float or hang it on the side. I would recomend hagning it is it will last longer, if you let it float it tends to start growing algee and other mildews on it. Make sure you take off the hard backing as it makes it very difficule for your turtles to eat, they could posible choke aswell if you leave it on.
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have two very small turtles...i have tried breaking off small chewable chunks from the cuttlebone as well as leaving big pieces as well.

The turtles just dont seem to go for it, (i saw one turtle nibble on it only once..but then he lost interest.

I bought this cuttle bone from the birds section from walmart.

Am i doing something wrong.

Thanks
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I break off a chunk the size of a 50 cent piece, soak it overnight which makes peeling off the hard part easier, then just drop in my tank. My turts nibble at it but also push it around. Just put in another piece when this one is almost gone.
  • Information