VARIOUS QUESTIONS

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
jesi
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I had 2 RES turtles, one died just recently, and I don\'t know why. They\'re both babies and I need to get the proper set up so I think it was a lack of sunlight, besides the fact that they never eat. So anyways, I have one left, his shell is VERY soft, I bought one of those water conditioner things that is in the shape of a turtle that protects against diseases. I also put a cuttlebone for birds in the water cuz I saw that the calcium in that would help his shell on a few websites. So anyways, I have a few questions on perfecting his habitat.

1. What kind of basking lamp should I get? I would like to know one of the best name brands and the wattage.

2. What should the temperature in the water be?

3. Is there any kind of fish or any other type of animal that I can get to make his habitat a little more interesting? I know they eat some fish, and I\'ll probably get some for him to eat, even though it makes me sad. But is there any type of creature that will live in harmony with him?

4. Are there any type of live plants that I can put in the water?

I plan on getting a filter and a heater, I\'ve already researched that, but these are just extra questions that I would like to have answered if anyone can help me out. Thank you very much!
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Getting the heater and keeping it between 78/82 will increase his appitite. Get a UVL lamp so the basking area is a few degrees warmer. I also take my RES out to sun 2/3 times a week. I put mine in a plastic pan with high, straight sides (so they can\'t get out) and up on a table (so another animal can\'t get to them. Small feeder fish are good because he might not eat them right away but will have fun chasing them around his tank. Sorry, I can\'t help you with brand names.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

They can eat the water plant anachris. keep it in a seperate tank and add some daily ur turtles will eat it up. u can probably buy it at petsmart thats where i get mine
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Can your turtle walk and move around all right? Your turtle needs both a UVB light for his shell and a basking light for warmth. The brand of the basking light doesn`t matter, even a regular light bulb will do. But the UVB light is crucial--your turtle needs it to make Vit D3 so he can absorb calcium. You can feed him all the calcium you want, but if he doesn`t have enough vit D3 (made from the rays of the UVB light), he will not be able to use the calcium you give him, his shell will grow softer as the underlying bones deteriorate, and he will die. Good brands to buy are Reptisun tubes and the ESU UVB coil light. If you buy another brand, make sure the package says that it gives off UVB rays, otherwise you will have wasted your money (even if it says \"full spectrum\", make sure it specifically says it gives off UVB rays). The basking area temp. should be 85-90 degrees F, the water 78-80 degrees F.

For added calcium, the turtle blocks will not help. The cuttlebone is much better, but still isn`t enough at this point. It would be good to buy a powdered calcium supplement that does NOT have phorphorus like Rep-Cal (not ReptoCal), moisten your turtles pellets, sprinkle or roll them in the powder and handfeed them to your turtle. If your turtle will not eat from your hand, moisten the pellets, roll them in the powder, let them dry and then give them to your turtle. If your turtle does not improve, you need to see a herp vet.
  • Information