some weird looking bug?

Discussions about turtles.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,
We were cleaning the tank today, and out of the small underwater filter was this black bug. It had many, many legs with a red head...it kind of looked like it had some sort of stinger thing on the end of his tail (it broke off into 2 different directions..).
I\'m not sure what it was...that was the only one we found, but I took that filter out..the tank is clean now...but I\'m wondering where this came from...
we had bought feeder fish a few weeks ago..but I\'ve never had this problem before..
I\'m not sure how worried I should be.
Does anyone know what kind of bug this was or where it could have came from?? It definately wasn\'t a worm/parasitic thing...
Keep in mind, I live in Canada...
Any suggestions??
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m taking it that nobody has a clue what I\'m talking about??
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

do u have any other pets like dogs? it could be a tick. Sorry I wasn\'t that much help.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for the help though, it definately wasn\'t a tick and the turtles are the only animals we have in the house.
I\'m still really perplexed about the whole thing...we did just recently have an onslaught of mice in the house, but that wouldn\'t explain it being underwater and still alive...

the only thing I can tell you is that it sucks blood,so if you were thincking of touching it,don\'t.

P.S.I saw one.
rachshell
Level 1
Level 1

i know what they\'re called. they\'re called earwigs. they don\'t suck blood, but they might bite. over a million (just being sarcastic) live in my backyard.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

nope, not an earwig, i\'ve seen those before (unfortunately, alot)....
it was really odd and totally black...
rachshell
Level 1
Level 1

i\'m sorry i did not know the right kind of bug. i\'m going to look on the internet to see if i can find the bug and if i find the kind i\'ll \"tell\" you!!!
rachshell
Level 1
Level 1

i couldn\'t find anything. sorry!!! but a few minutes ago, i just remembered that i saw one last week. I called my boyfriend at work and he says they are just a different classification of earwig.

p.s. he knows alot about bugs
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

oh okay,
so this bug lives in the water totally or can live on land??
is this a dangerous bug that i should be worried about??
  • Information