Ideas anyone?????

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
deesygirl

Well I think I have tried just about everything. :(

A few weeks ago I got my new baby chicks and I set their box on my turtle tank for a few days. Well, my ever curious turtles Jasper, Corky and Stew, who share that tank, received sores on the backs of their necks craning to see what was up there and cute little food begging has made it much worse. I soak them in Betadine twice a day. Corky is doing much better. Stew is so~so but Jasper is \"bad\". I have been dry tanking them through the day and put them in the water at night. Stew breaks his open at feeding time and it does not look to bad just sore. Jasper, however, is down to the bone. She is not healing for anything. Thinking there could be bactiria in the tank adding to the problem I did a complete tank clean.Complete with bleach.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

The vet feels since there is no infection but the cut is so deep from the shell irritatng that there is nothing else we can do and feels I should put her down. To me, this is a last resort.
l8or g8or

I would dry tank her even at night til she is healed. Just make sure you check on her during the night in case she has flipped over. I think by putting her in the water at night it is just softening the sore and therefore it is breaking back open.
deesygirl

Thanks l8org8or. She is eating now. I\'ll keep her out for the night and see what happens. I have never seen anything like this before and neither has the vet. I guess I learned a hard lesson. DO NOT put anything on your tank. All the more troubling is that she is my favorite.:(
l8or g8or

Hey! How\'s your turtle doing? Better I hope.....
  • Information