Chicken and Turtles?

Discussions about turtles.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I'm glad that people are getting to read this...LOL. I thought I would share a small story about Sally and Linus. Sally is really aggressive and nearly always takes food from poor little Linus. Well, today I thought I would treat the both of them to some cooked chicken. Needless to say I think the both of them loved it. Although it looked like Linus was going to vomit some of it up. I don't think that I will be feeding it to them again, because I really don't know if that was a good idea. LOL I would really love to hear some stories or ideas for treats for turtles. Maybe I'm not the only one with this experience.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

I have given my turtles liver. A friend told me to try, his turtles loved it. My one turtle Pugsy just went crazy for it and the other turtle Mugsy wouldn't touch it. I haven't read much about liver of sites but it suppose to be good for them. The other treat that I like to give our turtles is fish. Not only is it a treat for them but it is very entertaining to watch them chase them around. Both turtles like fish but again Pugsy is the pig and eats more of them. I have tried to give them some carrots and other veggies but neither turtle seems very interested in them. They are a little over 2 1/2 years old, but they don't seem to like that stuff.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

They won' be interested in it for a while. They seem to go toward vegetation as they get older. Once they start loosing interest in fish, then really begin with those veggies again. But you can always try...it won't hurt them none....
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

It says on this site that it's okay to give turtles chicken.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

it's okay to feed them chicken, i just don't do it often because even though the pieces are small they start acting funny, like they are choking...so i'd rather not do it
ralph
Level 1
Level 1

halo people..
i read from books that these meats like cooked chicken, cooked ground beef, cooked liver are to be given to ur turtles as Rare treats only... it says that these meats are very high in protein and also there are fats.. if u feed them tese meats often:

first it will make ur turtle grow very quickly resulting in abnormal growth like weird shell shape are premature loss of the green color on the scutes..

secondly too much protein will cause the turtles' eyes to swell...

so i dun feed my DaYu and DaHai chicken regularly.... hope this can help u guys.. =)
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Ralph. I thought that also, only I wasn't too sure. I definatly don't need them to have abnormal growth tissues!
Mother Giant Panda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brandy, I like to recommend that you don't feed your turtles too much pellets (turtle food) and meat. It makes liver or kidney problem. You can feed them pellets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Than, give them vegetables every other day. All these recommendation are given from my friend who is breeding turtles for a long time. She always give me good advise. Hope this help.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

All my turtles will eat is their pellets. ALthough once my two year old gave them a bite of his hotdog and they loved it. But I stopped him because I wasn't sure if this would hurt them. I have tried veggies -- they want nothing to do with them, they are almost 2 years old.
Will feeding them pellets so much hurt them ?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for all the information, but from the researh that I have done and as young as my turtles are, pellets are good for them. They still hate veggies and lean alot more towards meat. The pellets won't hurt them, actually they balance out the nutrients in their bodies. Now as they get older I would suggest what Mother Panda has perscribed, but not until you are sure they are starting to prefer veggies above meat.

Hope this helps.
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

My babies only eat bits of steamed chicken. I've tried everything else, from pellets to banana to fish. They really seem to like chicken the best. They eat some fish too but not as much. They totally ignore pellets and fruit, but they'll become more omniverous when they get older and larger.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

My babies are anything from little. I'm not quite sure how old they are but i believe about two years old or a bit older. last night i tried to feed them some lettuce. they wouldn't even go near the stuff. i guess what it simply comes down too is what they eat they eat, what they don't they don't until they do. =o)
ralph
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys:=)

my DaYu is quite different from ur babies..
cos i believe he's a pig in disguise!! LOL
i find tht he is not at all picky.
he juz gobbles very edible stuff tht meet his eyes. ham, cheese, banana, papaya, kiwi, chicken, feeder fish, pellets, supplements, dried-bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, bread, carrots. but the only thing i found tht he will only take a bite is cabbage. and important info guys dun feed ur babies ICE BERG LETTUCE! the book says tht turtles love it and it contains virtually ZERO nutrients.
natt
Level 1
Level 1

um, dude, did you mean kiwi-fruit? or just kiwi
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Just wanted to add that young turtles aren\'t into veggies...you can try but it takes a while til they are older to get them into that...it\'s good to get them feeder fish to eat as an alternate...but as for food, pellets are pretty much a main source until things change...you can give them dried shrimp or those other few meats mentioned but changing any animals diet can cause bad things to happen (ie. diarhea) for a while just because their digestive systems aren\'t used to it....
angel204

You can give them pieces of turkey and bolona as treats. But don\'t feed it to them but every so often.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I also do not recommend hot dog, ham, or bologna. The dried shrimp should only be for treats, not as a meal. The diet should primarily be veggies, with protein supplements like crickets, worms etc. Check out the care sheets on the site by clicking the button above. As they get older they will be more apt to eat veggies. Mine was the size of less than a half dollar when I got him and I got him in Sept. he has slowly started changing his veggie eating. Always try something it wouldnt eat before as their taste will change. He eats carrot shavings, bellpepper, zucchini, all which he wouldnt before.
Last edited by shelngav on Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information