How Hot?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
darwing
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how hot the basking area should be, my turtle\'s basking area is a 10 gallon tank on its side and is about 72-74 degree\'s (when I put the thermomitor in there) and thats about the same temp of the water. I have a 100Watt bulb heating the area shouldn\'t it be hotter in there?

what do you think?

Thanks
-Darwing
deesygirl

Warm it up. Your water temp should be around 74-78. But your basking area should be warmer. Try around 84-86. This encourages your turtle to use the basking area.:)The warmer water will also stimulate hunger as well as protect them from infection. Also using a basking bulb is a good idea. Do you have a UV bulb?
darwing
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, well I had a 100Watt heating bulb in there but it didn\'t seem to be doing the trick , I just bought a 150W bulb and two 25 watt lighting bulbs (Had those in before just got new ones) and I\'ll see how that works... I Upped the two heaters in the water to make it a bit warmer to about 74. I\'ll let you know how it works out...

As for his apetite he is constantly eating... he eats so many feeder fish its insane and I feed him pellets as well. He\'s a little beast :) : )

Thanks for the temp help

-Derek
darwing
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by darwing on Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information