while on the subject of stinky water

Discussions about turtles.
bostonmama

OK, here is my trouble - I have one little RES, and I am new to them. He has his own 20 gal long tank, with rocks (big ones) on the bottom (well - it is gravel, but looks like stones, pebble sized) and a big rock he can climb up on to bask (purchased at Petsmart) no heater, and a filter (second one! first one stunk, no cleaning action at all). I added the algae treater, and the tank looks like fecies. Any helpful ideas? I guess I will need to clean the whole thing up, again, and add fresh water, and probably a heater, and get rid of the rocks. I just did a 1/2 water change the other day, and had given it a few days to clean up, and it is still cloudy and algae looking, even after treating the algae. I would appreciate any ideas. I will feed him out of the tank now too. Not to be dumb, but how long can they stay out?
human177
Level 3
Level 3

Get rid of the pebbles, keep a few for your turtle to play with, but don\'t cover the tank\'s floor with them.

20 G is good for a small RES, but you\'ll eventually need to go bigger. When you do, I would recommend fluval filters. And don\'t forget the heater
bostonmama

Thanks for the info. I got rid of the pebbles, emptied entire tank, cleaned up all the statue stuff in there, basking rock, plant, and have started trying to feed him out of the tank (he\'s not interested, any ideas? I got the kitty litter pan to do this in, as was suggested). I put in the heater, and I have to say, without the rocks on the bottom, the tank looks like a million bucks! He is the cutest little thing - my son is an actor/musician, so he wanted these statue people - one is a drummer, the other holds a guitar, skeleton looking things, and the turtle sleeps on the drums a lot. TOo cute. We are definite RES lovers here!!
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Eventually your turtle\'ll get used to the separate container. For a while ours had outgrown her little feeder tank, and she was DEFINATLEY snubbing the new one. (more likely that they just don\'t eat if they\'re not comfortable with their surroundings)

I just kept putting her in there when it was time for feeding. Eventually she got used to it, and stopped being such a brat about it ;)
  • Information