I have found a giant turtle!! Help!

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.

I know absolutely nothing about turtles and I need some help. I don\'t want to see this turtle die but I don\'t know what kind it is. I would say its about 16-18 inches long and about 10-12 inches in diameter. He has a very long tail with what looks like little spikes on it. (My kids called it a dragon turtle!lol) and a flat squareish head. He is really muddy and its hard to tell what color he is. He has squareish plates on his shell. I live on the Kentucky-Virginia border and he has most likely come from the river. Right now he is in a ditch beside the road and I am afraid he is going to be killed. I don\'t really know how to go about catching him. He is really large. And also, he has really long legs when he walks he is at least 2-3 inches off the ground. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Actually it does look a lot like that. Its hard to tell about the color because he is so muddy. What should I do w/ him? Let him try to get himself back to water,or try to help him??
deesygirl

First of all I would not try to capture him and keep the kids away. If there is water close I might try to heard him in that direction. I am not really sure. Let me chat with some rescue people and I\'ll get back to you.
deesygirl

Ok, well the verdict is in. Leave him be as long as there is water close by.

Thanks for your help. The river is nearby, and hopefully he will make it back. He hasn\'t really moved around much in the last couple of days. He is in a ditch and it\'s been raining a lot, so I guess he will be okay. Thanks again.
  • Information