Help me identify TITO

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
DaciaNova

Hello everyone. I was given Tito few days ago and I do not know what type of turtle she/he is. I was told it was found on the land, In the South of Lebanon, next to the Mediteranean Coast. Apparently are zillions of turtles around that area. Lebanon is a temperate climate country, with no desert. Tito, the turtle is very small, like 5/6 cm-around 3-3,1/5 inches. It has little feet with claws, and no webbing. The colour of the shell is like kaki, with perfect hexagons, with dark brown spots. I took her/him some pictures with a web cam and you can find them here http://windowtoromania.com/wtr/tito/
So far I have been feeding her lettuce, cucumbers, apple (she even ate a cherry yesterday). I also placed a small plate with water but except few drops that she sipped from the tip of my fingers i didn\'t see her drink. I also didn\'t see her urinating or pooping. Please help me find out what type she/he is, how can i take care of him/her, what to feed her/him. Thank you so much for any help.
deesygirl

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid I can not help identify your turtle, however it sure is a cutie. I do have some suggestions for you though. If it was found in such a climate it sounds as though he needs heat and probably humidity as well. Also try feeding leafy greens such as Romaine lettuce, cale, dandilion leaves and collard greens. Iceburg lettuce has no nutritional value. Carrot peels are my RES\' favorites and you could try them. Fruits are a good choice as well. (I would try bananas.) She may be obtainig most of her water from humidity and food. I would still keep fresh water available though. I will keep looking as to her type. Good luck!
DaciaNova

Thank you so much for your fast reply. Yes I will try feeding her fresh fruits and vegetables. I was thinking of bananas in fact. I just wanted to know if she wants also snails or shells or similar thingies. She ate well today: Romaine Lettuce, mainly the more green leaves from the outside layer, well washed and a few thin slices of cucumber. Usually she stays in the shade during the afternoon when the sun is strong. At night she just goes in the same corner and hides herself. About heat, there is no problem, is very hot and humid here (Lebanon). How can i determine her gender(I just assumed she is a girl, she is way too cute hehehe)when do they reach sexual maturity, does she need a companion? Thanks again for your reply.
deesygirl

To determine gender we have to know what type of turtle you have. :) I agree, she sure is cute.
  • Information