Feeding Question

Discussions about turtles.
skeemr4

I have a RES that is about a year and a half old...I would say that it is about 4 inches or so in length....I feed her everyday. Usually pellets and a piece of shrimp. I\'m concerned that she might be getting a little too big too fast....Her shell seems to be curling up a bit. How can I tell if she is too fat?? What can I do to get her back in shape? Should I change feeding habits?

Thanks in advance
l8or g8or

When she is basking, & pulls her feet in, can you see a fat sticking out? If so, she is a overweight. I wouldn\'t feed her everyday. Try feeding her every other day, and giving her fresh greens in between. Cut back on the shrimp also to one day a week, it\'s nothing but protein which will cause rapid growth. Remember, turtles do not get good quality pellets out in the wild, I am sure there are days that they only get to eat weeds. Just remember to stay away from Iceburg lettuce & spinich. Red leaf lettuce, Romaine, Collard & turnip greens, Dandilion greens (can all be found at the store.) They will keep a long time if you take them out of the bag, & put them in a sealed container (like gladware or tupperware). If you feed your turtle in a seperate tank, she probably won\'t touch the veggies, feed her the greens in her own tank.
  • Information