Long Claws

Discussions about turtles.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Well I figured I would try again.

Has anyone ever clipped their turtles claws?
Erica
Level 1
Level 1

i\'m pretty sure there is no need to clip your turtles claws. i\'ve never heared of anyone cliping their turtles claws.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

I\'ve never clipped their claws..just make sure they have enough in their tank that they can get some wear and tear. They will actually fall out sometimes....I\'m not sure if this is because they get too long though..
I\'d advise against cutting their nails....I don\'t even know how unless your turtle doesn\'t get squimish when held.
deesygirl

I have heard of people taking them to the vet to be clipped. If you have more than one in the tank they will sometimes scratch the others eyes and this can cause an infecion. (been there with Tank and Stew) Personally I just got them a bigger tank and treated the infection. However, that may be because I am a little squeamish at the thought of getting them clipped. :)
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

do you have n*e rocks on the bottom of the tank ? cuz the rocks can kinda wear the nails down so there not so sharp
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m sure thats just a preference..if your wanna clip them i wouldn\'t think that would hurt the turtle as long as you dont hit the quick! but i agree there should be something to file the nails in the water...like a basking rock or something to the sort! Good Luck! :)
  • Information