Eastern painted turtle \"rescue\"

Discussions about turtles.
Shelby
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve wanted a turtle since I was eight and my cousin and I found a turtle at our grandparents house. I saw it first but she got to keep it. :( This spring I finally got one, red eared slider (I am now 37). Imagine my surprise when a week later I found an eastern painted turtle in our backyard!We have 3,5 acres in the country in eastern Canada. It was a very hot day (+27 Celsius) and as there is no water for at least a mile I was worried this turtle had gotten disoriented in the heat. We have lived here for five years and I\'ve never seen one before. I picked it up and brought it to my goldfish pond thinking I would give it a chance to cool off, find it\'s bearings and be on it\'s merry way. That was two weeks ago and it\'s still there! I\'ve dug up worms and thrown in for it, it doesn\'t seem to like cucumber or lettuce. I usually buy water lettuce and hyacinth and put in the pond. Is that enough or does it need something else? I already had a log floating in there and there are two fish in it, one 5\" goldfish and a 4\" shubunkin. If it ends up staying all summer I will have to take it somewhere to hibernate, my pond is only 2\' deep. How do I know if its a she or a he?
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

get more fish. and put more longs in. The \"pet\" fish wont be there for long, considering the turtle will eat them. go to the local pet shop and buy 50-60 feeder guppies the turtle will eat them (not the worms) and the left over fish will breed so you dont have to buy more.
  • Information