Flaky Skin

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

About 3 weeks ago, a co-worker of mine gave me his 3 red ear sliders. There are just under a year old. The indoor setup that I had put together for them seems to be working well. It was a setup from their old home. They get in and out of the water with no problem and they have one good appetite, but I have noticed since I got them that some of their skin in peeling off. It is usually in small portion and it seems to not to cause them any discomfort or problems. I can notice no discoloration where the new skin is and they don\'t seem to mind it being touched. Is this normal?
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

This is very normal, it is just shedding. Just make sure the skin isn\'t peeling too often, because it may be a sign of rapid growth usually caused by overfeeding, and in some cases the shell will crack open, otherwise it is perfectly normal.
lazing_pig

Hi. I think my terrapins have the same problem. Their skin is peeling. Their peelings are like some transparent membranes. The one that is peeling the most is eating lesser. While the other don\'t seem to have enough.
How often should I feed them? They are about 3-4 inches long. should I keep them out of the water?
  • Information