getting a friend....

Discussions about turtles.
l8or_g8or
Level 2
Level 2

I am thinking about getting Joe Mama a friend. If the new baby is much smaller, will Joe pick on it? Possibly kill it? Joe is around 2 years old.

We just did that and Michealangelo (5 years old) tried to eat Donnatella (2 mos old). We did n't think it would happen because we first placed 2 plastic bags in the tank... one with goldfish and the other with Donatella. He just sniffed at the other turtle but went crazy over the gold fish... so we just figured he knew the difference. A little later, he saw her moving when we set her free and then went after her... fortunately she's not hurt tho. We're gonna try putting the tanks next to each other till they get used to each other... but We don't recommend mixing the very old with the very young. =)
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

if ur going to get a friend for ur turtle you have to introduce them slowly. but i do recommend one that is closely related to them in age. that way the introduction is easier and there will be no injuries in case of a run in. turtles are social so they do need a friend, unless of course they have went many years without one.
Fab Five
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently integrating our two little guys (10 months)in with our older RES (around 4 years). They do well together in the feeding bowl and in the sunning container. When the little guys go into the big tank however... that is a different story. The big guy is very territorial and shakes his claws in their faces as well as nips/pulls on their legs with his beak. I stay within reach to break them apart before they get hurt. I am trying to slowly get them used to the idea. When they are closer in size, and with many months of prep, I hope that they will learn to share the space (there is plenty of it). Good luck to you.
lildevil1901

i put a baby turtle in w/ my bigger turtle hes about 3 mths and 2 1/2 inches and the baby is 1 1/4 i put them in a lil bowl just incase ne thing was goin to happen well they were ok so i put the lil one in the tank w/ cruiser they were ok but he was also doin the claw shaking and stuff they are friends now and i\'ve had the baby a week hurley climbes on cruisers back but sometimes hurley will swim and cruiser will hold him underwater... i guess its a territory thing but good luck w/ ur turtles
  • Information