shell peeling is this normal ....please help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Sweetre1002

i recently discovered that both of my turtles have sections of their shells that are peeling is this normal? i\'m currently applying vitashell ( A SHELL AND SKIN CONDITONER)to their complete shell should this help? please respond as quickly as possible
thanks
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Some peeling is normal for growth. If the shell is hard in the spots where the peeling is occurring, it should be fine. This usually happens at around the same time each year.
femmfaerie
Level 1
Level 1

Sweetre1002 wrote:
i recently discovered that both of my turtles have sections of their shells that are peeling is this normal? i\'m currently applying vitashell ( A SHELL AND SKIN CONDITONER)to their complete shell should this help? please respond as quickly as possible
thanks
Aside from the peeling shell how does his/her skin look? Any weird sores, maybe on the face around the mouth or eyes? Look carefully...I have two turtles and their shells started peeling...I didn\'t think anything of it - they are very healthy. I acctually saved the first peice because I thought of it as sort of a first tooth. I just thought they were going to go through a growth spurt. Any how I added a conditioner and calcium to the water and thought nothing much more about it. A month went by and they were still shedding so I figured it was time to go to the Vet. Sure enough the had contracted some sort of virus - not known how turtels get this virus, but it is very common and if treated properly and soon enough is not fatal.
I had cought it kind of late and had to give my turtles injections every other day for 7 days...but they are find now =)
  • Information