Turtle Landscapers

Discussions about turtles.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

I have a pebbles on the bottom of my 75 gal tank with fake plants embedded in the pebbles. When I come home from work I look into the tank and what do I see....
ALL THE PLANTS HAVE BEEN DUG UP!
They are floating around the tank! I put them back under the pebbles and it seems my turtles get MAD. They zoom to the bottom and start digging them up again. WOW, they can sure dig. They are so occupied with the digging that some days they don\'t even come up to eat. They are only little guys but they sure do move those pebbles. Does anyone else\'s turtles do this???? Do they not like the fake plants??? It is fun to watch them though...HA!
The Turtle Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

That is really weird! I have 3 turtles now, but i dont keep gravel in there at the present moment for cleanliness sake. But when i just had my res, i had gravel and real and fake plants, but he didnt zoom down and dig em up. It may be that your turtles are just weird, or maybe territorial. Oh well, try taking em out for a few hours, then putting them back in when the plants are back in or something like that. Or, you could attach the plants to suction cups and put them on the bottom, that would keep the turtles from digging em up. Have fun with your crazy turtles! Mine are just normal fun loving, fish terrorizing reptiles!
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

I have an under the gravel filter that works in reverse flow...it pumps the water down below the gravel and up thru the gravel to the filter. Do you think that they are trying to dig down to the filter grating??? Maybe they can feel the water pushing up thru the gravel???? Yes, they are weird and very very spoiled!!!! Thanks Turtle Hunter
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I found these super strong suction cups. They are a smaller (much smaller) version of the ones pictured on this page:
http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20 ... manual.htm

I attach my live elodea (anacharis) plants to the plastic hooks with rubberbands, and stick the cups to the bottom. No matter how many times my snoopy tramples the plants, they stay put! The hooks are plastic and will not cut her if she steps on them.

If you have an undergravel filterand can\'t attach the plants to the bottom, what about suctioning them to the back wall of the tank?

Good Luck.
  • Information