Freshwater Turtle, No Land Needed, HELP!

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
turtlespunk

Hi all. I recently got a turtle/tortoise/terrapin. Don\'t really know which one it is and can\'t find anything on the net resembling my pet. Here\'s my decription of it.

It\'s bottom is white. It has web feet. No other colors other than white at the bottom and blurry green on top. There is 6 distinct tiny white spots placed like a circle on its shell. Also, it has a pointy nose (pointing upwards).

Apparently, it doesn\'t require dry land to bask or anything like that. Anytime it needs oxygen, it goes up the aquarium and gets it. And it needs to be wet all the time. My aquarium is about 20 inch deep. It looks like a herbivore since it ate the plant when we first put it in the aquarium.

It\'s about a year old and 2.5 inches in length and 1.5 inches in width. I was told it\'s adult size is about 8 inches in length. It could live for about 20 years.

Some facts mentioned here may not be exactly right but it\'s the best I could do to describe it. No pics though.
deesygirl

Hi and welcome to the board.

You have a turtle. Sounds as though it may be a spotted although it is hard to tell for sure. Where did you get it? That might help narrow down the type as well. :)

Your turtle will need to bask. If you just got it then it may not be comfortable in its new home yet. However they need to bask and dry off completly at times. Make sure that your basking area is warmer than the water.

Your turtle will need a balanced diet to be healthy. Make sure it gets enough calcium. You can suppliment with a cuttle bone. You can find them in the bird section of the pet store. Turtle pellets are a good staple diet. Also make sure you offer fresh veggies and fruits. FYI Iceburg lettuce has no nutritional value. However Romain is very good.

Check out the turtle setup pages on this site they are a good place to start.
turtlespunk

Lastly, I think it\'s a terrapin. Any website with tonnes of pics of different species of terrapin?
Last edited by turtlespunk on Thu May 22, 2003 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

sounds weird never heard of one that didnt need to dry off
  • Information