Releasing turtles outside

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
LestatTB

I found some turtle eggs last summer, and two healthy turtles hatched. I kept them in my classroom all year and would like to release them into a front-yard pond that has no other fish or predators. The pond is about 3 feet deep. My questions are: Will the turtles be OK going from an indoor aquarium to an outside pond, and how do I prepare them? Thank you so much!
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

If you were just gonna release them into the pond, then that would be a really bad idea since they don\'t know how to find food, since it has lived in a tank where food was supplied to them all their life. Good luck!
Last edited by Amez on Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

The turles would be fine. make sure they have some land whether it be a beach effect or a steady rock.thats for basking.and make sure they cant ge out. becareful with the filter that they dont gt stuck(((polke the RES R.I.P:()))other then that they dont ned preparing...itsturtle instict.:D
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

no that instinct is gone if they have been in captivity.i would go with amez and either have a complex set up equiped with every thing or keep them in the tank
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

omg.i\'m so sry.i thot u meant pond like in ya backyard.go wit amez
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea like we sed it wouldnt be a good idea to let them go.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

they wouldnt kno wat to do ne more
  • Information