Red Ear (?) has soft shell, in Taiwan. Please help.

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Hi,

I need help please. I don\'t want my turtle to die. )=

I\'ve had a tiny turtle (~4cm) in Taiwan for about 5 months now. Back in winter it didn\'t do much and my friends told me it was partially hibernating, so don\'t worry.

It\'s May now (about 20C degrees avg) and he was more active for a time, but last week his shell was a bit soft, i took out some of the water in his \'tank\' (which is really just a big glass jar with a few rocks in it).

Well he\'s also got a flourescent light over his tank. It\'s only turned on a few hours a day. Does that give him the rays he needs?

Today, I picked him up to change the water and found his shell so soft that it bent a bit when i picked him up! This really worries me.

I don\'t know what the water\'s like in Taiwan, whether I should add stuff to it like fish water, or what else I should feed him, besides the turtle food I was given, that\'s Hagan Brand.

I suppose I should buy some calcium supplement and stick it in the water, or do the put him in dry land and water him down 2x a day thing? Is that all I can do for him?

BTW, how do i know if it\'s a girl or boy anyway?

Is he in pain? Is this common? Is it fixable? I\'ve never owned turtles before, but I own fish at home in North America.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I had the same problem as you a a while back. Just to make sure how big is your tank?..If your Turtle is experiencing a soft shell a good thing to do is to feed it more calcium, try cuttlebone, which is meant for birds but works fine with turtles, just let it float in the water. Make sure the food you are feeding it has a variety of vitimins he needs. Always what is a good thing to try, is to feed it REPTOCAL, it is a vitamin supplement for reptiles, it contains Vitimin D3 and lots of Calcium which is essential for a strong hard shell. Further more you should leave your flurescent light on longer, maybe 10 hours or so. And whenevr possible bring him ourside to get UNFILTERED SUNLIGHT. It is said that 15 mins of natural sunlight is better than 5 hours of UVB Flurescent. It takes time to heal, but it is curable. So, try the ReptoCal, and make sure your Flurescent light bulbs are still producing UVB RAys. You should replace them atleast once every 6 months or so. Hope this helps. Keep in touch~

Thank you for your reply, but it\'s too late. He\'s passed away. Now my next question is, what do I do with him?

My roommate told me to flush him down the toilet. Or should I throw him in the garbage?

I don\'t think burying is an option as I don\'t have any tools or places to do it.

Please help me one more time, thanx.
brianandhisturtle

Jeez--dont flush him! Show some respect! You don\'t need \"tools\" to bury him, just put him in a box and bury him in your back yard with a SHOVEL...
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m so sorry about your lost. However, I agree with brianandhisturtle, kindly do not flush him down the toilet. Place him in a little wood box or so and find a backyard to bury it. I suffered a lost only two weeks ago and still feel the emptiness. That been said, turtles deserve some respect b/c they gave us joy. My best wishes to all, Abby
deesygirl

This post was originaly posted in May. What ever the poster did with the turtle is over with. Please do not post on these older posts as it makes it difficult to help people with issues now. You can find the original post date at the bottom left corner of the original post.
Thank you,
Christy
  • Information